Sunday 24 March 2019

The Battle of Al’zaafaranah Oasis, with Soldiers of God

Game six of the Soldiers of God mini-campaign and the finale… well, it was already done, but this is added bonus extra, another chance for a final last big bash as my relief army marched to Homs, now sacked. Lord Andrus de Renard’s crusaders came out to meet them, rather than become trapped in the city themselves. The two sides met in the desert scrub at the Al’zaafaranah Oasis. His smaller force, toughened now through the course of the campaign with various experienced units, including two very tough Turcopole units with multiple stat upgrades, that had fought in almost every battle and not yet been destroyed. My force was a brand new one, no experience upgrades allowed, as it had just marched in. My previous army (of Homs) was assumed destroyed or scattered.

Here was my army selected for the battle. Back to basics, heavy on the horse archers on both flanks, ahead of a base force of cheap infantry whose main job was not to die and allow either flank to be wiped out. De Renard’s chosen plan for field battles had so far been echelon attacks with his heavy cavalry smashing one flank to bits, that wouldn’t happen again (hopefully). I had a cavalry centre of Ghulam, with a Loose! card behind them, they’d be more mobile archers that a strike force. The two small Arab tribal units of horse and cavalry were to hang back on my board edge, defend the baggage and again, just be alive in case the main combat units were wiped out, losing an entire battle is so costly in morale it will almost always cost you the game (but you can’t be strong everywhere). But if any units survive, the battle isn’t gone.



Saracen Battle Plan: Hold and Harry - Initiative 0

            Stands    Pts     MV
Left: Advance, Loose!, Retire   
Horse Archers    3 stands    15    1
Horse Archers    3 stands    15    1
Horse Archers    3 stands    15    1
Infantry        4 stands    8    1
Infantry        4 stands    8    1
Infantry        4 stands    8    1
Archers        4 stands    12    1   
Ahdath Levy        4 stands    4    1   

Centre: Loose!
Ghulam        4 stands    28    2
Ghulam        4 stands    28    2
Ghulam        4 stands    28    2
Ghulam        4 stands    28    2
Tribal Horse        2 stands    8    1   
Baggage Train    1 stand    free   

Right: Advance, Loose!, Retire
Horse Archers    3 stands    15    1
Horse Archers    3 stands    15    1
Horse Archers    3 stands    15    1
Infantry        4 stands    8    1
Infantry        4 stands    8    1
Infantry        4 stands    8    1
Archers        4 stands    12    1   
Ahdath Levy        4 stands    4    1
Camelry        2 stands    10    1   

300 points    26 Morale Value

My general plan was to horse archer him to death, archery, archery and more archery… fill ‘em full of arrows! No mercy, death to the infidel defilers!! Death by pointy stick!

Oh, and what battle it was… a 5 hour epic of Soldiers of God, so, so close. Two players giving it their all. The Franks had changed up their battle plan too, afraid of my horse archer flanks (and figuring after 2 defeats I’d go back to basics - its annoying to be predictable!), his plan was to be strong in archery on both flanks, skirmishing archers and those awesome damn Turcopoles at full strength (meet fire with fire!), well he’d meet arrows with arrows. Each Crusader flank also had Knights, for the counter-attack and to be bulwark against being wiped out himself. His centre would conduct a more cautious advance, with a March card behind them. So without any Charge! cards in play, this would be a far more cautious fight all round. Let’s see who can shoot the straightest for longest (I’ll back the Saracens, but I’m biased!).


In brief(ish), the battle started well for me, my horse archer flanks raced up, and won the initial exchange of volleys, breaking a unit of archers and armed pilgrims on the Crusader right, and that flank was looking in trouble. His others archers retired back through their men-at-arms and foot knights, shot-up. They had returned fire and inflicted some disruption on my skirmishing cavalry though, but such was his concern over the possible annihilation of his right flank, that his Holy Order knight’s advance wheeled from the centre and advanced in that direction. His shock force had been diverted. With a wide open and unprotected flank for his best knights (with mercenary Armenia infantry in support), my centre Ghulam could not resist such a target. It had been my intention to attack, but a March using a ‘gallop’ move placed them into archery and charge range of his elite knights flank. A volley of archery followed, inflicting the first disorder. The pressure was really on the Crusaders and initial losses had seen me take the Initiative.

On my right, my horse archers and his Turcoploles were trading a lot of arrows, both wheeling forwards and back, loosing all they could and battering each other. All 3 of my units were soon at 3 disruption points, close to breaking, but hung on. Many cards would have to be played to keep their morale up and not lose that light cavalry fight. It was very even, his 8 shots at 3+ to my 9 shots at 3+ in return, but with my units easier to break. If one side got the upper hand, it would be deep trouble for the waiting troops behind, watching the screening light cavalry duel, that turned into an epic… for turns, neither side were willing to give up a unit and perhaps the flank. Stalemate.

In the centre his open order units had moved into the oasis village, crossbows now in the buildings and dominating the centre. They would pepper my Ghulam with bolts if I let them, but cavalry cannot attack units in buildings. So, Manoeuvre card, one unit of Ghulam dismount into open order. Quick Loose! card to fire a preliminary volley of arrows, and a Charge card for the centre, rushing the buildings, and my Ghulam charged the Hospitallers too, who had, 1 card earlier just started to wheel back to face them. It was a marginal call on a flank or front charge, right on the line, but as I ever prefer to give the benefit of the doubt to my opponent. It was frontal charge, but still, my lances went in and his Holy Order were on the back foot. That melee would be locked until the end, but my Ghulam were doing a great job in keeping his elite strike force tied up as I fought to win the battle on the flanks.

But that didn’t go to plan, and after my initial good start, it slipped. His right flank infantry surged forward, March, March, Charge! and suddenly my lightning quick horse archers were caught in melee and being overrun. His foot knights dispatched one unit, his men-at-arms another, my flankers were gone, with the last unit reduced to 2 stands by a deserters card! His archers were also back, rallied, and lob shooting at them. It was an uneven fight now and my last light cavalry withdrew with all speed, shooting a parting shot as they went of course, back behind the infantry screen which had gradually marched up behind them.

In the centre my dismounted Ghulam fought the Arbalasters for the building, and again, it was classic fight. Challenges made, Fear cards used to taunt, crossbow bolts killing any that tried to force the doors or windows. My Ghulam just couldn’t quite shift them, and kept losing challenges! (in no other game rules I know of can medium cavalry do this, dismount, and fight on foot in open order, changing from close order shock cavalry to foot archers then to infantry skirmishers, all hail the versatile Ghulam).

With all three ‘battles’ now heavily engaged, pressure on your cards is very high, you just can’t do everything, and you just cant keep everything in the fight. Many hard decisions have to be made. This was both our problems, but the my losses now saw the Crusaders back with the initiative. Lunch time.. a brew, butty and a reflection on what had been a gruelling and epic morning so far.

Refreshed and back at it, and instantly things swung back my way. A Impetuous Charge by his mounted men-at-arms (induced by me) saw them attack my last unit of Ghulam, but as only 3 stands, in open order, their charge impact was weak, and my Ghulam, with tribal cavalry in support, smashed them. Mounted men-arms aren;t knights. Then my victorious Ghulam used a Manoeuvre to realign themselves and marched off to the right, to swing the light cavalry fight, still going forwards and backwards, in my favour. One of his veteran Turcopoles units final cracked and fled. His second unit withdrew behind his now advancing mounted knights. Facing a wall of arrows (13 die, and weathering it for only 1 disruption). My own light cavalry pulled back, rather than face a Charge! card, leaving my Ghulam to face off with his knights as the light cavalry engagement became a heavy cavalry battle.

In the centre, I still couldn’t clear that damned house of crossbowmen, whose defence was now legendary, how they didn’t crack I have no idea (actual, many passed Resolve tests helped a lot). I was back in control and well ahead, 11 MV left to the enemy’s 4!

Then it turned again, his Knights charged on the right, smashed my Ghulam and followed up into the support Arab tribal cavalry, who stood no chance, 2 units smashed very quickly. His Hospitallers were also winning now, and my Ghuam, so long a valiant block, where under extreme pressure, I could only just save them each turn at a huge cost in cards (and thus other actions). It was suddenly Crusaders with 3 MV left, and me with 1! No!!!

The last turn was tense (hence exciting) and so close, neither side could risk losing a unit. But my last horse archers on the right (they had had a very long day) whipped passed his victorious knights to peppered his pilgrims behind. A Deserters special card saw 3 pilgrim stands become 2. I had more Loose! cards to finish them too, perhaps even massacre them and win. But another melee in the centre saw his Hospitallers have a good turn and my Ghulam were dying in a massacre too. I couldn’t save them, I knew it it was over for me. It all hinged on those few pilgrims, who, decided fighting my horse archers was better than being shot-up, and produced another Charge! and rallied off their disruption. Last couple of cards, and I’d have the last play of the turn, knowing it would be my last of the game. It came down to a Challenge, my horse archers challenging the Pilgrims, I had to win it and inflict 3 disorder. In the tensest of tense roll offs, I scored a 3! No!, his roll, a 3! My troops were militia in quality, not great, but his were Levy - worse… so I win the tie. Resolve test needed a 6. Fails! Disorder (D3), I roll a 6, 3 Disorder, breaking the pilgrims as their leader was cut-down in personal combat. My Ghulam were broken, breaking my army, his Levy dead, breaking him… final totals, me -3 MV, him 0. Draw, and both of us slumped down in exhausted relief.

It had swung to and fro for 5 hours, in the end we agreed a draw seemed about right… although I don’t favour draws in wargames, in this case, it would have been very harsh on whoever lost it. What a game… one to remember for a long time. 

Oh, I forgot my camera too, so the photos are snaps off my rubbish phone… but enough to get the picture.

Battle Lines draw, my left and centre deployed. Village and woods surrounding oasis in the centre.


 The Ghulam in the centre, a reserve of mobile archers. It did not turn out too much like that.

Horse archer screen on the left, in front of the infantry blocks, whose role was 'don't die!'.

 The same on my right

The light cavalry race off and start a protracted missile engagement with the enemy Turcopoles, just creeping into shot. Cunning, play the horse archers at their own game, then, in a surprise move, the Christians charged in! 

 In the centre, now dismounted Ghulam storm the Crossbowmen's house, which became their mini-fortress. The other house is full of monks! (stand in pilgrims).

Ghulam vs Hospitallers with Armenian spearmen in support. Deadlock for his main strike force, but as the Disorder dice shows, the Ghulam had to weather a lot of pressure. 

 'Can we come in please?' 'No!'


Horse archers now withdrawn on the right, my Ghulam and support are left to face his Knights... and it didn't go well! He had a magic stash of Charge! cards in the last few turns.

Meanwhile, on the left, his foot knights had walked across the table and final charged. That was a deadlock too. My infantry are very poor, but enough of them can weather melee for a few turns at least.


With that bitterly fought stalemate, both sides are forced to withdraw exhausted. De Renard decided he would take his plunder, now all massively enriched, and head home to the County of Tripoli. The campaign had been a Crusaders win overall (4 wins, 1 draw and 1 defeat), but brilliant fun. If you have never played Soldiers of God, try it, I do think it’s the best game system I have written, better than Battlegroup (well, edging it). Every game a classic! I look forward to doing it all again.

Time to change games for bit now, back to WW2, or maybe ACW - Longstreet has too long been dormant. Or maybe some sci-fi. Tbd.






3 comments:

  1. Fantastic looking game thanks for sharing ....plenty of inspiration 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great battle report. How soon might we see Soldiers of Rome ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That very much depends on other work, as BG keeps me busy its hard to fir in other projects. If is slack, as it might be later this year, I can do it. So maybe, later this year!! No promises. It will happen though, all done bar production.

      Delete